Get to know Anoia, a region that can offer you a lot
Bordered by Montserrat, the Serra de Rubió and the Calaf highlands, with the Òdena basin in the center, Anoia is a rather unknown region. However, you will see that within its margins there is a lot of history. Starting with the exploits of the famous Wilfred the Hairy, whose heritage is engraved on the walls of some castles in the area.
If you still want to discover more history, you should know that Anoia has a lot. The Peninsular War is noteworthy in the region. And it is that two very important battles were fought in this territory, those of Bruc.
On the other hand, your stay in the holiday cottages in Anoia would be incomplete if we didn't talk about the nature you can find there. Geographical accidents delimit this region. One of the most relevant, without a doubt, is the mountain of Montserrat. Thus, in Anoia, you can enjoy the excursions, on foot or mountain bike, through the Montserrat Mountain natural park. If you like it, take the opportunity to practice climbing in one of the best schools in Catalonia! Also travel the paths that reach the spectacular viewpoints or the enchanting gorges.
And you couldn't leave Anoia without doing an oenological tasting of wines with a lot of flavor. Wine culture is gaining more and more strength in Anoia. You can visit several wineries that, in addition to tastings, offer activities related to the vineyard and wine that you will love.
Discover the main places of interest in Igualada, the capital of Anoia
Just 60 km from Barcelona
, a city with a unique essence, where trade has played a very important role throughout history. In addition, it is also a place where there are beautiful churches and vibrant architecture
. Visit these main points, and you will understand why Igualada is a hidden treasure:
- The town hall square : this is the essential place, the one that cannot be missed on your visit to the capital of Anoia. In this curious square in the historic centre, you will find the Town Hall and some bars and restaurants under the beautiful arcaded porches. In the middle was another building that housed the Igualada market.
- The Leather Museum : it is one of the emblems of the capital of Anoia. As we mentioned, the main economic activity has historically been trade. Specifically, that of textiles, leather and skin. At the Leather museum, you can learn how cotton was worked in the 19th century and what the master tanners did.
- Museu del Traginer : enjoy the carriages used by the porters, a symbol of Anoican folklore. These transport professionals made possible the exchange of people, goods, and even information. You will also be able to observe tools, utensils, carts, and carriages typical of this trade.
- Basilica of Santa Maria : this 18th-century basilica is built over another 11th-century church. In addition, it has had several renovations, which means that different styles can be appreciated.
- Casa Cal Ratés : Modernism also arrived in Igualada. This can be seen in some buildings, such as the Cal Ratés house. The undulations of the facade, combined with the protruding windows, will surprise you.
The most authentic stay in holiday cottages in Anoia: enjoy enchanting villages
The other appeal that you will undoubtedly find in the Anoia region are the charming towns, localities that have a unique character. Each of these towns is home to an architectural, cultural and historical heritage that you can experience by staying in the holiday cottages you will find in Anoia. Discover them!
It is said that Anoia is the land of castles and, in fact, there are more than 20 within its boundaries. One of them is in the town of Calaf. Well, his remains. This 11th century building dominates the entire village from the hill on which it is located. At its feet, the old hospital, now a civic centre.
Plaça Gran de Calaf is a place worth admiring: in this place, declared a Cultural Property of National Interest in 2003, there is the Town Hall and the Church of Sant Jaume. In addition, in this square you will also enjoy the beautiful porches and the “recovered shops”. These are museum shops that show what the original shops were like in the 20th century.
To learn more about the town, you can do the sculpture route and the literary route. In the first, you will discover the 20 iconic statues along a 10 km route. And in the second, you will delve into the corners that 14 Calafin authors have included in their work.
Important historical events took place in this town. Do the battles of El Bruc sound familiar to you? They took place between June 6 and 14, 1808 and were a turning point in the Peninsular War. They are known for being the first battles in which Napoleon's army was defeated. This is also where the legend of Timbaler del Bruc came from. It tells how a boy with a drum, brave and determined, sounded his instrument before the enemy columns. Thanks to the echoes of Montserrat mountain, the French battalions retreated, believing that the enemy army they had to face was very numerous. The Timbaler monument is dedicated to this legendary figure.
During your stay in the holiday cottages in Anoia, visit the Montserrat Mountain Museum, in the town itself, or the mountain, where you can go hiking, mountain biking and climbing.
La Pobla de Claramunt
Dominating the village, the castle of Claramunt stands proudly, an emblematic 10th century fortress that you will find on top of a hill, with magnificent views. This was one of the castles that marked the border with al-Andalus, and over time it has been demolished and rebuilt several times.
The inhabitants of La Pobla de Claramunt used to live from trade, specifically from the textile and paper sector. That's why six mills are still standing that were used to make paper. Although they are no longer in operation, they are a good example of the town's industrial legacy.
Disconnect and fill yourself with nature during your stay in the holiday cottages of Anoia
Despite having immensely beautiful natural landscapes, it is a quiet area. For this reason, you will be able to enjoy corners such as Fou dels Tous or El Gorg del Nafre, waterfalls and spectacular gorges. Don't miss the viewpoints on the hills and mountains, the Montserrat mountain itself or the various routes for walking or cycling, such as the Esgavellats route. Anoia is a very rich region, and if you stay in the holiday cottages you will find there, you can enjoy all this and much more.