The two elements of the Garraf: the sea and the mountain
Despite being the smallest in the province of Barcelona
, after Barcelonès
, it is a very prosperous area,
where you can find a multitude of very different landscapes. One of the causes of this is the contrast that occurs between the mountain and the sea.
On the one hand, the massif of Garraf, and on the other, the coast, which delimits the south and southeast of the region. In the middle, the plain, where are Sant Pere de Ribes and, on the edge of the province of Tarragona
, in the municipality of Cubelles, the mouth of the river Foix. It is an ideal place to spot birds and other animals. Garraf is a land full of surprises,
and you will love spending your holidays in the holiday cottages
you will find there!
Walk through the natural park of Garraf
Did you know that when we talk about "Garraf" we can refer to three things? One is the region
. There is also a small coastal town
near Sitges. And to finish, we can refer to the well-known Garraf natural park.
Let's talk about this beautiful space now! And it is that, located at the southern end of the Coastal Range, it has unique characteristics.
Thus, the massif of Garraf
provides refuge in the northern part of the region and is divided between the regions of Baix Llobregat
and Alt Penedès
. The most characteristic feature of this natural park are the chasms and caves,
a product of the type of stone in the soil. The relief, formed by weathered limestone rocks, absorbs water from the surface. It leaves a rather low and barren vegetation, but there are a lot of stalagmites and stalactites in the caves and chasms, as well as underground rivers.
In addition to these features for speleology lovers, the Garraf massif also offers extraordinary hiking or mountain biking routes
. Some, such as Castellot del Garraf,
take you to see a large part of the park. Some of them also leave from the Masia de la Pleta,
tourist information office.
Stay in the perfect holiday cottage and enjoy a very special coast
Since the construction of the road along the Cosetes del Garraf and the introduction of transport, such as the train, the region experienced a spectacular increase in population. And it is precisely thanks to this road and the tunnels that cross the massif that the area is much more accessible. If you drive through this road, you can stop at some viewpoints to admire the Costes del Garraf. Magnificent cliffs with views of an endless sea. Among them, coves and beaches with clear waters.
In fact, the region has become popular largely due to the great attraction of its beaches. The popular Casetes del Garraf, in the town that has the same name as the region, give a very picturesque image to the town's beach. This and many of the beaches in the area have fine and pleasant sand, where the sea is an intense blue, and if you look inland in the region, you will find the green of the massif. A complete experience of disconnection that you will live when you stay in the holiday cottages in Garraf!
Cultural visits to Garraf: castles, museums and wineries
Although the area has become known mainly for sun, beach and party tourism, it also hides cultural secrets that you will want to know.
You can visit, for example:
- The Ibero-Roman village of Adarró, in Vilanova i la Geltrú. Although the area is known to have begun to be consistently populated in the Middle Ages, these remains are evidence of earlier small settlements.
- If you feel like discovering a little more history, visit Olivella Castle. It is a medieval gem from the 10th century in the middle of the Garraf natural park. Part of an incredible route! However, it is not the only castle in the region, you will also find one in Sitges, Canyelles or Cubelles.
- El Cau Ferrat, a museum in an impressive location. It was the summer residence of the artist Santiago Rusiñol. Inside the old town of Sitges, you'll find it on a cliff with views you won't forget.
Did you know that you can also do wine tourism?
Although agriculture does not play a big role in the region, there are wineries and delicious wines. In Sant Pere de Ribes, for example, there are extensive fields of vineyards. Between them you can do hiking routes! Being part of the network of regional trails, you can visit the Indians Interpretation Center or other castles.
But observing the landscape of vineyards is not the only way to enjoy the wine heritage of Garraf. During your stay in the holiday cottages of the region, you can visit spectacular wineries. Celler Güell is among them. Work of the master Antoni Gaudí for Eusebi Güell, the final result that saw the light in 1882 was a space reminiscent of a medieval castle, covered in stone and details of forging.
Enjoy the stay in the holiday cottages of a festive region full of carnivals
The Garraf massif and the beautiful coast of the region are two very important claims. Who doesn't dream of spending a few days on holiday, staying in the beautiful holiday cottages in El Garraf
and enjoying bot
h the beach and the mountains? However, the area is also known for the range of services and leisure
it provides. Above all, the city of Sitges
is famous for its carnival and the lively nightlife
of what is known as Calle del Pecat.
It is actually Carrer Dos de Maig, and there are all kinds of bars and restaurants. It's a good place to enjoy the festive atmosphere!
Also, worth mentioning is the Vilanova i la Geltrú carnival,
full of music, streets, costumes, and colors. In addition, other essential celebrations in the different municipalities are the major holidays
of each locality. There are plenty of occasions to celebrate and enjoy different activities!
Visit these cities during your stay in the holiday cottages in El Garraf
Your stay in the holiday cottages in El Garraf
cannot end without visiting two of the most important towns in the region: Sitges and Vilanova i la Geltrú.
- Sitges, despite being known mainly for tourism and leisure, is a town that will show you much more than that. Less than 40 km from Barcelona, the municipality boasts the iconic parish of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla. Also, the beautiful Maricel palace, on the corner of the Cau Ferrat museum. Of course, you can't stop strolling through its old town or enjoying the town's beaches and promenade.
- Vilanova and Geltrú, the head of the Garraf. From the city you can enjoy the beaches, also impressive for water sports, such as paddle surfing or kayaking. Also enjoy the museum of the Catalan Railways, its churches, castle and beautiful streets, as well as its lighthouse. You'll love staying in the holiday cottages at Garraf!